Former US President Barack Obama holds a pre-election rally to campaign on behalf of Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden and his former Vice President Joe Biden October 27, 2020 in Orlando, Florida.
Eve Adelheit | Reuters
Washington: Former President Barack Obama issued an official statement on Afghanistan on Friday, his first since the US military entered the final stages of its withdrawal from the country two weeks ago.
Obama said he and former first lady Michelle Obama were “shocked to hear about the terrorist attack outside Kabul airport, which killed and injured scores of US servicemen, as well as men , Afghan women and children “.
“As president, nothing was more painful than to mourn with the loved ones of Americans who gave their lives in the service of our nation,” he said.
Obama continued, “As President Biden said, these servicemen are heroes engaged in a dangerous and selfless mission to save the lives of others.”
The line served as rhetoric for the former Obama vice president, essentially acknowledging that Biden is now in charge.
“We also think of the families of the deceased Afghans, many of whom stood with America and were willing to risk anything for a chance at a better life,” Obama said.
Obama is the last of four US presidents who presided over the 20-year US war in Afghanistan to speak on the situation.
He is also the president who ordered the entry of an additional 30,000 US troops into the country in late 2009, a move strongly contested by then-vice president Biden.
At the time, Obama was convinced that the US bombings could overwhelm the fragile and corrupt Taliban government in Afghanistan.
Eleven years later, that government fell within hours when the Taliban retook Kabul on August 14 without firing a single shot.
Obama did not mention the total evacuation efforts in his statement Friday. But earlier this year, he said he strongly supported Biden’s decision to end America’s longest war.
Obama said on April 14, “After nearly two decades of harming our soldiers, it is time to recognize that we have accomplished all we can militarily, and it is time to let our remaining soldiers out. To take home.
Bush and Donald Trump, the two Republicans who presided over the war, both openly disagreed with Biden’s decision to withdraw US troops – albeit in different ways.
Bush, who started the war shortly after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, said he feared for the country’s women and girls, who face almost certain repression under the sweeping interpretation of the law Islamic by the Taliban.
Bush also painted a grim picture in July of what awaits the Afghans who have worked for the US-led coalition for the past two decades.
“I think of all the performers and people who have helped not only the American soldiers but also the NATO soldiers and they are justified, they feel like they are being left behind by these very cruel people, and this is my heart, ”Bush told German. state broadcaster Deutsche Welle.
Trump has taken a different path, issuing a series of statements in recent weeks that have distorted his own record and falsely accused Biden of withdrawing US troops in front of US citizens. Trump has also sought to portray refugees evacuated from Afghanistan as “terrorists.”