High-priced Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer to miss the remainder of the 2021 baseball season and playoffs as law enforcement continues to investigate allegations he sexually assaulted a woman .
Bauer, who denies committing wrongdoing, has been on administrative leave since the start of the summer due to the investigation.
Major League Baseball and the union that represents its players have agreed to extend Bauer’s administrative leave until the end of the World Series. The settlement came after both sides agreed Bauer would not be able to physically return to the game this season.
MLB continues to investigate Bauer.
“Today, Mr. Bauer agreed to extend his administrative leave during the playoffs in good faith and in an effort to minimize any distraction for the Dodgers organization and its teammates,” said his agents, John Fetterolph and Rachel Luba. said in a statement. Friday. “He continues to cooperate with the MLB investigation and denies the baseless allegations made against him.”
“Again, the administrative leave by definition is neither a disciplinary measure nor does it reflect in any way a conclusion of the league’s investigation,” he said.
The Major League Baseball Players Association and the Dodgers declined to comment.
In late August, the Pasadena, California, Police Department submitted the findings of their investigation to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. The prosecutor’s office has made no decision on whether to charge or not.
Last month, a Los Angeles judge refused to order a permanent ban against Bauer, a 27-year-old woman who accused him of assault. She alleges that Bauer suffocated her in an unconscious state and repeatedly hit her during two sexual encounters.
Bauer, 30, was first put on administrative leave on July 2 and hasn’t presented a pitch since June 28. He was paid a salary for the duration of his leave.
MLB shouldn’t decide whether or not to suspend Bauer until prosecutors decide to indict him.
The Dodgers signed Bauer, who won the National League’s Cy Young Award last year as a member of the Cincinnati Reds, in February on a three-year, $ 102 million contract. The deal made the pitcher one of the highest paid players in baseball.
– CNBC’s Jabri Young contributed to this report